Our Statement of Faith is an important foundation stone. It is a statement of beliefs agreed upon by most churches who, like us, are part of the Evangelical Alliance (The EA. are a large and influential national grouping of Christian churches, organisations and individuals). Because this statement is written in theological language we've included a translation into everyday English!
We believe in:
1. The full inspiration of the Holy Scriptures, their authority and sufficiency as not only containing but being in themselves, the word of God; the reliability of the New Testament in its testimony to the character and authorship of the Old Testament and the need of the teaching of the Holy Spirit to a true and spiritual understanding of the whole.
2. The unity of the Godhead and the divine co-equality of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit; the sovereignty of God in creation, providence and redemption.
3. The total depravity of human nature in consequence of the Fall, and the necessity for regeneration.
4. The true and proper Deity of our Lord Jesus Christ; His virgin birth, His real and perfect manhood; the authority of His teaching, and the infallibility of all His utterances; His work of atonement for sinners of mankind by His substitutionary sufferings and death; His bodily resurrection and His ascension into Heaven; and His present priestly intercession for His people at the right hand of the Father.
5. The justification of the sinner solely by faith in our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.
6. The necessity of the work of the Holy Spirit in regeneration, conversion, and sanctification; also in ministry and in worship.
7. The Universal Church, the body of which Christ is the Head, embracing all the redeemed, called by God through the gospel, born of the Spirit and justified by faith; the local Church comprising such believers as the expression of the Universal Church; and fellowship between such Churches, manifesting the unity of the body of Christ.
8. The ordinances of Believers' Baptism and the Lord's Supper as being instituted by our Lord Jesus Christ, but not in baptism as conveying regeneration grace, nor in the Lord's Supper as being a sacrifice for sin nor involving any change in the substance of the bread and wine.
9. The personal return of the Lord Jesus Christ in glory.
10. The resurrection of the body; the judgement of the world by our Lord Jesus Christ, with the eternal blessedness of the righteous and the eternal punishment of the wicked.
Modern English Version
This is an "easier to understand" version of our Statement Of Faith. We believe in:
1. The Holy Scriptures, the Bible, inspired by God and understood through the Holy Spirit, given as the final authority in the Church for belief and behaviour.
2. One God who has always existed as Father, Son & Holy Spirit, the Ruler and Creator of all things.
3. The creation by God of all men and women who have, however, all been spoiled by sin.
4. The true deity and true humanity of our Lord Jesus Christ, His virgin birth, the authority and infallibility of His teaching, His perfect life and sacrificial death in place of sinful men and women, His resurrection, ascension into heaven and prayers for His people.
5. The forgiveness of sins and restoration to a relationship with God only through faith in Jesus Christ.
6. The need for the work of the Holy Spirit in giving new life and empowering those who believe for living and serving in a way which please God.
7. The worldwide Church made up of all those who are committed in faith and discipleship to the Lord Jesus, united in Him.
8. The practice of baptism and the celebration of communion for those who have become Christians.
9. The personal return of Jesus in power and glory.
10. The ultimate judgement of the world by our Lord Jesus Christ with eternal consequences for all.